Snowcookie - connected skiing and coaching

Alles zur Skitechnik. Siehe auch Berichte Carving- und Ski-Lehrplan, sowie Besser Skifahren für Fortgeschrittene
Snowcookie
Vorname: Mateusz
Snowcookie - connected skiing and coaching

Beitrag von Snowcookie » 04.11.2019 15:54

Hi everyone,
My name is Mateusz (mati in short if you prefer😊) and I am Chief Scientist at Snowcookie team. We develop a system for skiers to improve faster your technique and style. We also want you to feel new type of joy while skiing.
banner_white.png
In the first place I would like to say thank you to Uwe Hanss for allowing us to join you here. Unfortunately, as I would probably be able to communicate (that is right – communicate, not discuss fluently 😊) with you in German, as big part of my family lives in Germany, I am completely unable to write in that language. Hopefully, English would be fine for most of you and we can have an interesting discussion in this language about the future of skiing.

Speaking about the future of skiing – this is exactly what we are doing in Snowcookie. We provide smart sensors for skiers to continuously monitor skis and body motion providing advanced analysis results in a simple form. Additionally, we provide new type of fun on the slopes with possibility to deliver even more fantastic services for skiers. Our goal is to introduce the concept of “connected skiing” to skiers minds, as it is already done in other sports like bike riding or running. This concept is very wide and covers topics like: slope safety, injury prevention, new type of fun with challenges (various competitions independent from place where competitors are), faster self-improvement, coaching (from amateur to aspiring, semi-professional skiers), new services for skiers on the slopes and beyond them.

Unfortunately, this ski gear branch, where Snowcookie lives, is very narrow and not known for too many skiers. We would like to introduce it to you in this thread. Therefore, we would like to present you also our main competitors in that field, where some are supported by leading skis manufacturers, i.e. PIQ with Rossigniol or Atomic with their Hawx Connected ski boots. There are many mobile apps, which using just phone data (mostly GPS only) try to measure your skiing in simple numbers (total kilometers, total elevation drop, time spent on skis, tracks you took). We can not forget also about various smart watches, which in general are pretty the same solution as mobile apps on the phone. As you can see, there are already some products which might be interesting for skiers who want to monitor and improve. With this thread we would like to discuss with you all of them, maybe some new that we do not know. We would also want to present in more details our product – Snowcookie – and maybe convince you to give it a try. We are sure that after several runs you would not be able to imagine your skiing without it.

So what is this Snowcookie system you ask? This are three sensors – two attached to skis and one to your chest. In each sensor you will find IMU – combination of 3D accelerometer, gyroscope and magnetometer – that allows us to record their motion dynamics. Based on this we can calculate orientation of each system sensor and correlate them together to know what is happening with skiers over the whole run. Thanks to those sensors we know i.e. how chest works according to skis, how skis are vibrating, how are you edging around each turn, and much, much more. There are over 105 metrics we calculate or collect and based on them we can score each skier with seven unique values.

The most important parameter would be your Level - general score - which is inspired by PSIA levels for recreational skiers, but considering also more advanced, aspiring, semi-professional skiers. Knowing this you already have an overview how good skier you are. If you are interested more how good you are, you can explore six dedicated ingredients that build the Level: Stance, Turn iQ, Style, Speed, Stamina and Engagement. Snowcookie system tries to improve skiers equally in all those domains in a safe and smart way, so in the end you can improve yourself faster, being sure nothing bad should happen to you if you follow our guides.

In short about us and Snowcookie. We have spent over five years developing this product and now we feel it is a good time to go public and give it to skiers to verify it on their own. We are a group of passionate skiers with medical, academic and technological background. We developed Snowcookie cooperating with best universities and researchers, validating it in advanced laboratories (for motion analysis and hardware diagnosis) and on the slopes with professional coaches and advanced skiers. You can find research articles and professional workshops using our sensors. Having positive feedback from people who already used it, we would like to know from much more of you – skiers - how do you feel about it.

If you have any questions about the presented technology, our competitors or our product - feel free to ask us. We will do our best to provide you most detailed and actual answers. We hope discussion with you could help us verify our product and improve it, as we are aware that working on something continuously for such a long time limits somehow your ability to see its disadvantages and new possibilities 😊 Already many thanks in advance for being interested in this topic.

Mati